Back

ⓘ Markevich-Evtushevsky House




Markevich-Evtushevsky House
                                     

ⓘ Markevich-Evtushevsky House

Markevich-Evtushevsky House is a Russian historical monument. It was constructed in the first quarter of the 19th century in Taganrog of the Rostov Oblast. It is a one-story house with five windows.

                                     

1. History

The house initially belonged to the local merchant A.N. Kamburov. It was then sold to Markevich-Evtushevsky. The property was once the office of the citys mayor. The house has the initials of its owners.

After a wedding, the mayor moved to the house of the spouse, and the house was given to Markevich-Yevtushenkos daughter, Lyudmila Pavlovna. She became wife to M. E. Chekhov and the aunt to Anton Pavlovich Chekhov. Among the tenants was P. E. Chekhovs family, and in this house, Ivan Chekhov was born. Years later, Anton Chekhov communicated with Markevich-Evtushevskimi. Chekhovs family lived in this house in 1861–2. In 1992 it became protected by the state as a monument.